Nut-Free Chocolate-Cherry Snack Bars
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Chewy, crunchy and delicious nut-free snack bars with good-for-you dried fruit, oats and little explosions of chocolate. We like the flavor of dried cherries or cranberries, but any coarsely chopped dried fruit will work.
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened puffed wheat cereal
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips or finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Position a rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 300°F. Line an 8-inch-square pan with parchment paper, letting it overhang on two opposite sides.
- Toss cereal, oats and dried cherries (or cranberries) in a large bowl.
- Combine honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Warm over medium heat, stirring, until the honey is more fluid and the salt is dissolved. Pour the honey mixture over the dry ingredients and fold until everything is moistened and sticky. Let cool for 5 minutes. Fold in chips (or chopped chocolate) until evenly distributed. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly with a fork. Using the back of the fork, press the mixture very firmly all over. (Alternatively, cover with parchment paper and press firmly all over.)
- Bake until the top is golden brown, about 35 minutes. (If in doubt, take it out so the honey does not burn.) Run a knife along the unlined sides of the pan to detach the bars. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack to room temperature, about 1 hour. Use the ends of the parchment to lift the bars from the pan. Gently peel off the parchment. Use a heavy sharp knife to cut into 16 bars or squares.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight for up to 1 week. | Equipment: parchment paper
Per bar: 93 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 20 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2011