North African Vegetable Stew with Poached Eggs
Fragrant vegetable stews are common all around the Mediterranean. This streamlined version is flavored with a Tunisian spice blend and made simple with the use of precut frozen stir-fry vegetables.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can or 2 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 19-ounce or 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add stir-fry vegetables; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind coriander seeds, caraway seeds and salt coarsely in a spice mill, a dry blender or in a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 1/4 teaspoon paprika and cayenne.
- Add garlic and the spice mixture to the skillet; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cook at a lively simmer until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Break eggs into separate quadrants of the stew, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the skillet and cook until the eggs are set, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle eggs with paprika. Carefully transfer an egg and some stew to each plate.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 277 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 641 mg sodium; 300 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 30 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 35% dv fiber, 30% dv vitamin a, 4 mg iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less