North African Vegetable Stew with Poached Eggs
Fragrant vegetable stews are common all around the Mediterranean. This streamlined version is flavored with a Tunisian spice blend and made simple with the use of precut frozen stir-fry vegetables.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can or 2 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 19-ounce or 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add stir-fry vegetables; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind coriander seeds, caraway seeds and salt coarsely in a spice mill, a dry blender or in a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 1/4 teaspoon paprika and cayenne.
- Add garlic and the spice mixture to the skillet; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cook at a lively simmer until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Break eggs into separate quadrants of the stew, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the skillet and cook until the eggs are set, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle eggs with paprika. Carefully transfer an egg and some stew to each plate.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 277 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 641 mg sodium; 300 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 30 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 35% dv fiber, 30% dv vitamin a, 4 mg iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less