North African Vegetable Stew with Poached Eggs
Fragrant vegetable stews are common all around the Mediterranean. This streamlined version is flavored with a Tunisian spice blend and made simple with the use of precut frozen stir-fry vegetables.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can or 2 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 19-ounce or 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add stir-fry vegetables; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind coriander seeds, caraway seeds and salt coarsely in a spice mill, a dry blender or in a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 1/4 teaspoon paprika and cayenne.
- Add garlic and the spice mixture to the skillet; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cook at a lively simmer until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Break eggs into separate quadrants of the stew, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the skillet and cook until the eggs are set, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle eggs with paprika. Carefully transfer an egg and some stew to each plate.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 277 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 641 mg sodium; 300 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 30 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 35% dv fiber, 30% dv vitamin a, 4 mg iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less