North African Vegetable Stew with Poached Eggs
Fragrant vegetable stews are common all around the Mediterranean. This streamlined version is flavored with a Tunisian spice blend and made simple with the use of precut frozen stir-fry vegetables.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can or 2 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 19-ounce or 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add stir-fry vegetables; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind coriander seeds, caraway seeds and salt coarsely in a spice mill, a dry blender or in a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 1/4 teaspoon paprika and cayenne.
- Add garlic and the spice mixture to the skillet; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cook at a lively simmer until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Break eggs into separate quadrants of the stew, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the skillet and cook until the eggs are set, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle eggs with paprika. Carefully transfer an egg and some stew to each plate.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 277 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 641 mg sodium; 300 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 30 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 35% dv fiber, 30% dv vitamin a, 4 mg iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less