North African Spiced Turkey with Avocado-Grapefruit Relish
The spice crust for the turkey cutlets is based upon a Berber blend from North Africa. The honeyed grapefruit relish provides a lively contrast to the richly spiced turkey.
- 3 large seedless grapefruit
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove the skin and white pith from grapefruit with a sharp knife and discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membrane, letting them drop into a bowl. Add avocados, onions, cilantro, mint, vinegar and honey. Toss well to combine and set aside.
- Stir together chili powder, cloves, allspice, cinnamon and salt in a shallow dish. Dredge turkey cutlets in the spice mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cutlets and cook, shaking the pan, until they begin to brown on the outside, about 1 minute. Turn the cutlets over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until the turkey is no longer pink in the center, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Arrange the turkey cutlets on a platter or individual plates and spoon the avocado-grapefruit relish on top.
Per serving: 271 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 253 mg sodium; 510 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value), Vitamin A (64% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation