North African Spiced Turkey with Avocado-Grapefruit Relish
The spice crust for the turkey cutlets is based upon a Berber blend from North Africa. The honeyed grapefruit relish provides a lively contrast to the richly spiced turkey.
- 3 large seedless grapefruit
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove the skin and white pith from grapefruit with a sharp knife and discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membrane, letting them drop into a bowl. Add avocados, onions, cilantro, mint, vinegar and honey. Toss well to combine and set aside.
- Stir together chili powder, cloves, allspice, cinnamon and salt in a shallow dish. Dredge turkey cutlets in the spice mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cutlets and cook, shaking the pan, until they begin to brown on the outside, about 1 minute. Turn the cutlets over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until the turkey is no longer pink in the center, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Arrange the turkey cutlets on a platter or individual plates and spoon the avocado-grapefruit relish on top.
Per serving: 271 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 253 mg sodium; 510 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value), Vitamin A (64% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient