North African Spiced Turkey with Avocado-Grapefruit Relish
The spice crust for the turkey cutlets is based upon a Berber blend from North Africa. The honeyed grapefruit relish provides a lively contrast to the richly spiced turkey.
- 3 large seedless grapefruit
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove the skin and white pith from grapefruit with a sharp knife and discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membrane, letting them drop into a bowl. Add avocados, onions, cilantro, mint, vinegar and honey. Toss well to combine and set aside.
- Stir together chili powder, cloves, allspice, cinnamon and salt in a shallow dish. Dredge turkey cutlets in the spice mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cutlets and cook, shaking the pan, until they begin to brown on the outside, about 1 minute. Turn the cutlets over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until the turkey is no longer pink in the center, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Arrange the turkey cutlets on a platter or individual plates and spoon the avocado-grapefruit relish on top.
Per serving: 271 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 253 mg sodium; 510 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value), Vitamin A (64% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient