North African Spiced Turkey with Avocado-Grapefruit Relish
The spice crust for the turkey cutlets is based upon a Berber blend from North Africa. The honeyed grapefruit relish provides a lively contrast to the richly spiced turkey.
- 3 large seedless grapefruit
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove the skin and white pith from grapefruit with a sharp knife and discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membrane, letting them drop into a bowl. Add avocados, onions, cilantro, mint, vinegar and honey. Toss well to combine and set aside.
- Stir together chili powder, cloves, allspice, cinnamon and salt in a shallow dish. Dredge turkey cutlets in the spice mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cutlets and cook, shaking the pan, until they begin to brown on the outside, about 1 minute. Turn the cutlets over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until the turkey is no longer pink in the center, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Arrange the turkey cutlets on a platter or individual plates and spoon the avocado-grapefruit relish on top.
Per serving: 271 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 253 mg sodium; 510 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value), Vitamin A (64% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation