North African Orange & Lamb Kebabs
This spicy yogurt marinade tenderizes lamb beautifully--but it's not a long process, as with some marinades. Twenty minutes does the trick. Here, the lamb is paired with orange sections, which sear and turn slightly bitter, a bracing complement to the meat.
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pound lean leg of lamb, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 seedless oranges, unpeeled, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Preheat grill to high.
- Combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper in a food processor; process until the herbs are finely chopped. Add yogurt and lemon juice; process until smooth. Scrape into a medium bowl, add lamb and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Thread lamb and orange slices alternately onto 8 skewers. Discard marinade.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the kebabs, turning occasionally, until cooked to desired doneness, 7 to 10 minutes for medium-rare. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Eight 10-inch skewers (see Tip)
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- To grill with wooden skewers: Wrap the exposed parts with foil to keep them from burning. (Contrary to conventional wisdom, soaking skewers in water doesn't protect them.)
Per serving: 199 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 377 mg sodium; 514 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Selenium (39% dv), Zinc (30% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique