North African Orange & Lamb Kebabs
This spicy yogurt marinade tenderizes lamb beautifully--but it's not a long process, as with some marinades. Twenty minutes does the trick. Here, the lamb is paired with orange sections, which sear and turn slightly bitter, a bracing complement to the meat.
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pound lean leg of lamb, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 seedless oranges, unpeeled, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Preheat grill to high.
- Combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper in a food processor; process until the herbs are finely chopped. Add yogurt and lemon juice; process until smooth. Scrape into a medium bowl, add lamb and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Thread lamb and orange slices alternately onto 8 skewers. Discard marinade.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the kebabs, turning occasionally, until cooked to desired doneness, 7 to 10 minutes for medium-rare. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Eight 10-inch skewers (see Tip)
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- To grill with wooden skewers: Wrap the exposed parts with foil to keep them from burning. (Contrary to conventional wisdom, soaking skewers in water doesn't protect them.)
Per serving: 199 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 377 mg sodium; 514 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Selenium (39% dv), Zinc (30% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique