New Potatoes & Peas
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
This simple side is a triple treat of spring delights: new potatoes, spring onions and fresh green peas. The flavors are so delicate that all that's needed to finish the dish is just a touch of butter, a few grinds of black pepper and some chopped fresh mint.
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed
- 12 spring onions or scallions, bulbs whole, tops chopped (optional)
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas, (about 3 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or more to taste
- Place potatoes and onions (or scallions, if using) in a small saucepan, barely cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add peas, cover and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Drain, add butter, pepper and mint. Heat for 1 minute, tossing gently.
Per serving: 98 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 57 mg sodium; 470 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 1991