New Potatoes & Peas
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
This simple side is a triple treat of spring delights: new potatoes, spring onions and fresh green peas. The flavors are so delicate that all that's needed to finish the dish is just a touch of butter, a few grinds of black pepper and some chopped fresh mint.
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed
- 12 spring onions or scallions, bulbs whole, tops chopped (optional)
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas, (about 3 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or more to taste
- Place potatoes and onions (or scallions, if using) in a small saucepan, barely cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add peas, cover and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Drain, add butter, pepper and mint. Heat for 1 minute, tossing gently.
Per serving: 98 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 57 mg sodium; 470 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 1991