New Potatoes & Peas
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
This simple side is a triple treat of spring delights: new potatoes, spring onions and fresh green peas. The flavors are so delicate that all that's needed to finish the dish is just a touch of butter, a few grinds of black pepper and some chopped fresh mint.
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed
- 12 spring onions or scallions, bulbs whole, tops chopped (optional)
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas, (about 3 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or more to taste
- Place potatoes and onions (or scallions, if using) in a small saucepan, barely cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add peas, cover and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Drain, add butter, pepper and mint. Heat for 1 minute, tossing gently.
Per serving: 98 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 57 mg sodium; 470 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1991