New Mornay Sauce
Pureed low-fat cottage cheese contributes a rich dairy flavor and Gruyère and Parmesan add nuance to a healthier take on classic Mornay sauce. Use it to entice little ones to eat their vegetables.
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup nonfat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese, preferably Gruyère
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, (optional)
- Stir flour and 2 tablespoons milk in a small bowl to make a smooth paste. Heat the remaining milk in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk the flour paste into the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and whisk in cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, salt and white pepper. Transfer the sauce to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Serve over steamed vegetables and top with Parmesan and breadcrumbs, if desired.
Per tablespoon: 20 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 55 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more