New Generation Granola
A little number-crunching reveals that granola's image as a health food is undeserved. Shifting the balance toward fruits and whole grains and keeping the coconut to a minimum keeps it healthy.
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat flakes
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 12-ounce can apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oats, wheat flakes, wheat germ, almonds, coconut and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir together apple-juice concentrate, brown sugar (if using) and oil in a small bowl; add to the oat mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spread on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in raisins, prunes and apricots. Bake for 5 minutes longer. Cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 219 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 83 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation