New Generation Granola
A little number-crunching reveals that granola's image as a health food is undeserved. Shifting the balance toward fruits and whole grains and keeping the coconut to a minimum keeps it healthy.
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat flakes
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 12-ounce can apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oats, wheat flakes, wheat germ, almonds, coconut and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir together apple-juice concentrate, brown sugar (if using) and oil in a small bowl; add to the oat mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spread on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in raisins, prunes and apricots. Bake for 5 minutes longer. Cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 219 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 83 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique