New Generation Granola
A little number-crunching reveals that granola's image as a health food is undeserved. Shifting the balance toward fruits and whole grains and keeping the coconut to a minimum keeps it healthy.
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat flakes
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 12-ounce can apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oats, wheat flakes, wheat germ, almonds, coconut and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir together apple-juice concentrate, brown sugar (if using) and oil in a small bowl; add to the oat mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spread on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in raisins, prunes and apricots. Bake for 5 minutes longer. Cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 219 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 83 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique