Natural Decorating Sugar
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This natural decorating sugar recipe replaces artificial food coloring with fruit juice or natural dyes to produce colorful sanding sugar perfect for creating beautiful cookies.
- 1/2 cup clear crystal sugar, white sparkling sugar or sanding sugar (see Tips), divided
- 1 teaspoon frozen (thawed) cranberry, orange or Concord grape juice concentrate or natural liquid dye (see Tips)
- Place sugar in a small bowl. Stir in juice concentrate (or dye) until evenly blended. Adjust color with more additions as desired.
- Spread the colored sugar in a thin layer on a small parchment-lined baking sheet. Turn on the oven to 350°F for 2 minutes, then immediately turn it off. (The warm oven dries the sugar, but too much heat will burn it.) Let the sugar stand in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate colored sugar airtight for up to 1 year.
- Find clear (or white) sanding sugar (aka sparkling or coarse sugar) in well-stocked baking stores, gourmet food shops or online at kingarthurflour.com.
- Find a rainbow of natural liquid dyes plus a rainbow of already-dyed decorating sugars at chocolatecraftkits.com.
Per teaspoon: 7 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 1 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013