From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Whole almonds add beneficial monounsaturated fats to EatingWell's spin on this Indonesian-style fried rice. For added flavor, texture and nutritional oomph, our Nasi Goreng is brimming with fresh vegetables and accompanied with fresh slices of cool cucumber and tomato. To make it vegetarian we've substituted soy sauce for the fish sauce that's typically used as a seasoning.
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 4 small shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons whole almonds
- 2 small chile peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped or shredded vegetables, such as yellow bell pepper, cabbage and broccoli
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis, (see Ingredient Note)
- 4 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- Generously coat a wok or large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour in eggs, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, lifting the edges so uncooked egg flows underneath, until mostly set, 1 to 2 minutes. Slide out of the pan onto a clean cutting board. When cool enough to handle, cut into thin strips.
- Place shallots, garlic, almonds and chiles in a food processor. Process to a thick paste. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok (or pan) over medium-high heat. Add the paste and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the shallot paste, soy sauce, kecap manis and rice and stir until combined and heated through, about 2 minutes more. Transfer the Nasi Goreng to a platter. Top with the strips of egg and scallions. Arrange tomato and cucumber slices around the edges.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Kecap manis is a thick, palm sugar-sweetened soy sauce. It's used as a flavoring, marinade or condiment in Indonesian cooking. Find it in Asian food markets or online at importfood.com. To substitute for kecap manis, whisk 1 part molasses with 1 part reduced-sodium soy sauce.
Per serving: 295 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 106 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 380 mg sodium; 416 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Selenium (26% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)