Napa Cabbage & Pork Stir-Fry with Peanuts
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
This quick and healthy pork stir-fry recipe is a great combination of textures and flavors. The only thing you need to leave time for is chilling the pork before slicing it. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger, divided
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (see Tip)
- Pinch of sugar
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola or peanut oil, divided
- 6 cups sliced napa cabbage (1/2-inch crosswise strips)
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh scallions for garnish
- To make the pork easier to slice thinly, place it, unwrapped, on a plate in the freezer until firm and almost frozen, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine soy sauce, vinegar, rice wine (or sherry), 1 tablespoon ginger, garlic, five-spice powder, sugar and 1 teaspoon cornstarch in a bowl and place it near the stove.
- Using a large, sharp knife, thinly slice the pork crosswise on the diagonal and spread out in a single layer on your cutting board. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cornstarch, turn the slices over and sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or a large heavy skillet, such as cast iron, over high heat until shimmering. Add the pork in a single layer; cook without stirring until it starts to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Then cook, stirring, until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a clean plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat until shimmering. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon ginger, cabbage and peanuts and cook without stirring for 30 seconds. Then cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Stir the sauce and add to the pan along with the pork. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve sprinkled with scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Chinese five-spice powder is available in well-stocked supermarkets and Asian markets. All blends contain cinnamon, fennel seed, cloves and star anise; some versions are made with white pepper, some with Szechuan pepper.
Per serving: 383 calories; 22 g fat (3 g sat, 12 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 31 g protein; 4 g fiber; 608 mg sodium; 906 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (34% daily value), Potassium (26% dv), Folate & Vitamin A (24% dv), Magnesium & Zinc (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)