Napa Cabbage & Carrots with Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
Napa—also known as Chinese cabbage—is the preferred cabbage in this healthy Asian stir-fry recipe because it’s much sweeter and more tender than green cabbage. If napa cabbage isn’t available at your grocery store, try Savoy cabbage or bok choy.
Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shao Hsing rice wine (see Tip) or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons oyster-flavored sauce or vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Napa Cabbage and Carrots
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot (1 large)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot (1 large)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- To prepare the sauce: Whisk rice wine (or sherry), oyster sauce, sugar and salt in a small bowl.
- To prepare the stir-fry: Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or large skillet over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl canola oil into the pan, add shallot and garlic and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add cabbage and carrot and stir-fry until the cabbage just begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Stir the Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce and swirl it into the pan; cook for 30 seconds. Stir-fry until the cabbage and carrot are tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in sesame oil. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 1) for up to 1 week; prep the cabbage up to 4 hours ahead.
- Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. It is available in most Asian specialty markets and some larger supermarkets in the Asian section. If unavailable, dry sherry is an acceptable substitute.
Per serving: 114 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 231 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (124% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- February/March 2005