Napa Cabbage & Carrots with Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
Napa—also known as Chinese cabbage—is the preferred cabbage in this healthy Asian stir-fry recipe because it’s much sweeter and more tender than green cabbage. If napa cabbage isn’t available at your grocery store, try Savoy cabbage or bok choy.
Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shao Hsing rice wine (see Tip) or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons oyster-flavored sauce or vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Napa Cabbage and Carrots
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot (1 large)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot (1 large)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- To prepare the sauce: Whisk rice wine (or sherry), oyster sauce, sugar and salt in a small bowl.
- To prepare the stir-fry: Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or large skillet over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl canola oil into the pan, add shallot and garlic and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add cabbage and carrot and stir-fry until the cabbage just begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Stir the Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce and swirl it into the pan; cook for 30 seconds. Stir-fry until the cabbage and carrot are tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in sesame oil. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 1) for up to 1 week; prep the cabbage up to 4 hours ahead.
- Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. It is available in most Asian specialty markets and some larger supermarkets in the Asian section. If unavailable, dry sherry is an acceptable substitute.
Per serving: 114 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 231 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (124% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- February/March 2005