Napa Cabbage & Carrots with Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
In northern China, napa (also known as Chinese cabbage) is popular in the winter. It is delicious in soups, dumplings, braises and of course stir-fries. Napa is much sweeter and more tender than green cabbage, resembling Savoy cabbage, which can be substituted.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot, (1 large)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot, (1 large)
- Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or large skillet over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl canola oil into the pan, add shallot and garlic and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add cabbage and carrot and stir-fry until the cabbage just begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Stir Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce and swirl it into the pan; cook for 30 seconds. Stir-fry until the cabbage and carrot are tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in sesame oil. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep the cabbage up to 4 hours ahead
- Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. It is available in most Asian specialty markets and some larger supermarkets in the Asian section. If unavailable, dry sherry is an acceptable substitute.
Per serving: 119 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 142 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- February/March 2005