Napa Cabbage & Carrots with Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
In northern China, napa (also known as Chinese cabbage) is popular in the winter. It is delicious in soups, dumplings, braises and of course stir-fries. Napa is much sweeter and more tender than green cabbage, resembling Savoy cabbage, which can be substituted.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot, (1 large)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot, (1 large)
- Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or large skillet over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl canola oil into the pan, add shallot and garlic and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add cabbage and carrot and stir-fry until the cabbage just begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Stir Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce and swirl it into the pan; cook for 30 seconds. Stir-fry until the cabbage and carrot are tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in sesame oil. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep the cabbage up to 4 hours ahead
- Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. It is available in most Asian specialty markets and some larger supermarkets in the Asian section. If unavailable, dry sherry is an acceptable substitute.
Per serving: 119 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 142 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- February/March 2005