Massaged Mustard Greens Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
A few minutes of judicious massaging will transform bitter mustard greens into a mellow, well-balanced salad spiked with hints of lemon, garlic and Parmesan.
- 2 bunches mustard greens
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 minced anchovy fillet or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Strip leaves from the stems (discard stems). Wash and dry the leaves. Tear the leaves into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Add Parmesan, oil, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce, anchovy (if using), pepper and salt. With clean hands, firmly massage and crush the greens to work in the flavoring. Stop when the volume of greens is reduced by about half. The greens should look a little darker and somewhat shiny. Taste and adjust seasoning with more Parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce and/or pepper, if desired.
Per serving: 196 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 693 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (394% daily value), Vitamin C (225% dv), Folate (88% dv), Calcium (27% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Iron & Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- September/October 2012