Massaged Mustard Greens Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
A few minutes of judicious massaging will transform bitter mustard greens into a mellow, well-balanced salad spiked with hints of lemon, garlic and Parmesan.
- 2 bunches mustard greens
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 minced anchovy fillet or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Strip leaves from the stems (discard stems). Wash and dry the leaves. Tear the leaves into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Add Parmesan, oil, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce, anchovy (if using), pepper and salt. With clean hands, firmly massage and crush the greens to work in the flavoring. Stop when the volume of greens is reduced by about half. The greens should look a little darker and somewhat shiny. Taste and adjust seasoning with more Parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce and/or pepper, if desired.
Per serving: 196 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 693 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (394% daily value), Vitamin C (225% dv), Folate (88% dv), Calcium (27% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Iron & Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- September/October 2012