Massaged Mustard Greens Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
A few minutes of judicious massaging will transform bitter mustard greens into a mellow, well-balanced salad spiked with hints of lemon, garlic and Parmesan.
- 2 bunches mustard greens
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 minced anchovy fillet or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Strip leaves from the stems (discard stems). Wash and dry the leaves. Tear the leaves into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Add Parmesan, oil, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce, anchovy (if using), pepper and salt. With clean hands, firmly massage and crush the greens to work in the flavoring. Stop when the volume of greens is reduced by about half. The greens should look a little darker and somewhat shiny. Taste and adjust seasoning with more Parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce and/or pepper, if desired.
Per serving: 196 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 693 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (394% daily value), Vitamin C (225% dv), Folate (88% dv), Calcium (27% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Iron & Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012