Mussels Stewed with Apple & Fennel
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Apples and fennel pair beautifully in this dish.
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil, or canola oil
- 1 tart green apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth, or dry white wine
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Note)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add apple, fennel and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, sage and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth and vermouth (or wine), stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Note: To debeard a mussel: Hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Per serving: 310 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 494 mg sodium; 770 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (40% dv), Folate (25% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2.5 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2
- February/March 2006