Mussels Stewed with Apple & Fennel
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Apples and fennel pair beautifully in this dish.
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil, or canola oil
- 1 tart green apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth, or dry white wine
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Note)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add apple, fennel and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, sage and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth and vermouth (or wine), stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Note: To debeard a mussel: Hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Per serving: 310 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 494 mg sodium; 770 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (40% dv), Folate (25% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2.5 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2
- February/March 2006