Mussels Stewed with Apple & Fennel
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Apples and fennel pair beautifully in this dish.
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil, or canola oil
- 1 tart green apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth, or dry white wine
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Note)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add apple, fennel and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, sage and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth and vermouth (or wine), stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Note: To debeard a mussel: Hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Per serving: 310 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 494 mg sodium; 770 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (40% dv), Folate (25% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2.5 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- February/March 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)