Mussels South of Two Borders
Prince Edward Island may account for a healthy share of the world's mussel production, but this recipe takes those mollusks farther south for a Latin American preparation that combines chorizo, chiles and beer.
- 1/3 cup diced Spanish chorizo, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small plum tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup beer, preferably dark Mexican beer, such as Negra Modelo
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded if necessary (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook chorizo in a large saucepan over medium heat until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomato, chiles, cumin and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomato begins to break down, about 3 minutes. Pour in beer, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits.
- Stir in mussels and return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook just until the mussels have opened, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat (discard any unopened mussels); stir in cilantro. Serve with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: For this recipe we use fully cooked Spanish-style chorizo—spicy pork sausage seasoned with smoked paprika and chile—recognizable for its characteristic red color. Find it near other cured sausages in well-stocked supermarkets, specialty-food stores or online at tienda.com.
- Tip: To clean mussels, scrub with a stiff brush under cold running water. Scrape off any barnacles using the shell of another mussel. Pull off the fuzzy “beard” from each one (some mussels may not have a beard).
Per serving: 285 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 510 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Iron (35% dv), Folate (17% dv), Vitamin A & Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique