Mussels with Italian Turkey Sausage, Tomato & Basil
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
When mussels and turkey sausage meet up with white wine and tomato, pure kitchen alchemy occurs in this quick dinner recipe. The broth that brews at the bottom of the pot will make you feel that a piece of crusty bread (for soaking, of course) is your new best friend.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 links hot or sweet turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, halved and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, garlic and shallot and cook, breaking up the sausage into small pieces, until it is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, wine and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and discard any unopened mussels. Serve with the sauce from the pot, sprinkled with basil.
Tips & Notes
- To clean mussels, rinse very well under cold running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles or grit from the shell. Discard any mussels with broken shells or any shells that remain open after you tap them lightly. Pull off any fibrous “beard” that might be pinched between the shells; the “beards” of most cultivated mussels are already removed.
Per serving: 281 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 502 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (262% daily value), Vitamin C & Iron (30% dv), Zinc (22% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014