Mussels with Italian Turkey Sausage, Tomato & Basil
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
When mussels and turkey sausage meet up with white wine and tomato, pure kitchen alchemy occurs in this quick dinner recipe. The broth that brews at the bottom of the pot will make you feel that a piece of crusty bread (for soaking, of course) is your new best friend.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 links hot or sweet turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, halved and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, garlic and shallot and cook, breaking up the sausage into small pieces, until it is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, wine and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and discard any unopened mussels. Serve with the sauce from the pot, sprinkled with basil.
Tips & Notes
- To clean mussels, rinse very well under cold running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles or grit from the shell. Discard any mussels with broken shells or any shells that remain open after you tap them lightly. Pull off any fibrous “beard” that might be pinched between the shells; the “beards” of most cultivated mussels are already removed.
Per serving: 281 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 502 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (262% daily value), Vitamin C & Iron (30% dv), Zinc (22% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014