Mussels with Italian Turkey Sausage, Tomato & Basil
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
When mussels and turkey sausage meet up with white wine and tomato, pure kitchen alchemy occurs in this quick dinner recipe. The broth that brews at the bottom of the pot will make you feel that a piece of crusty bread (for soaking, of course) is your new best friend.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 links hot or sweet turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, halved and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, garlic and shallot and cook, breaking up the sausage into small pieces, until it is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, wine and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and discard any unopened mussels. Serve with the sauce from the pot, sprinkled with basil.
Tips & Notes
- To clean mussels, rinse very well under cold running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles or grit from the shell. Discard any mussels with broken shells or any shells that remain open after you tap them lightly. Pull off any fibrous “beard” that might be pinched between the shells; the “beards” of most cultivated mussels are already removed.
Per serving: 281 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 502 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (262% daily value), Vitamin C & Iron (30% dv), Zinc (22% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014