Mussels with Cider & Bacon
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
Flavored with apple cider and sage, these steamed mussels are the perfect meal for a cool fall night. Soak up the sauce with your favorite rustic whole-grain bread.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned (see Tip)
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring, until starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; pour off the fat from the pan and wipe out any remaining fat.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, 30 seconds to 4 minutes.
- Add cider, vinegar, sage, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat (discard any unopened mussels). Stir in the bacon. Serve with the sauce from the pan.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: When shopping for mussels, look for ones that are closed—or those open only a fraction of an inch. When you get them home, store them in a large bowl with a few damp paper towels on top for up to 1 day. To clean them, discard mussels with broken shells or whose shell remains open after you tap it. Hold mussels under running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles; pull off any black fibrous “beards”. (Some mussels may not have a beard.) Mussels should be “debearded” no more than 30 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 281 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 1 g fiber; 527 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (25% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Simple Art of EatingWell