Mussels with Cider & Bacon
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
Flavored with apple cider and sage, these steamed mussels are the perfect meal for a cool fall night. Soak up the sauce with your favorite rustic whole-grain bread.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned (see Tip)
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring, until starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; pour off the fat from the pan and wipe out any remaining fat.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, 30 seconds to 4 minutes.
- Add cider, vinegar, sage, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat (discard any unopened mussels). Stir in the bacon. Serve with the sauce from the pan.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: When shopping for mussels, look for ones that are closed—or those open only a fraction of an inch. When you get them home, store them in a large bowl with a few damp paper towels on top for up to 1 day. To clean them, discard mussels with broken shells or whose shell remains open after you tap it. Hold mussels under running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles; pull off any black fibrous “beards”. (Some mussels may not have a beard.) Mussels should be “debearded” no more than 30 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 281 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 1 g fiber; 527 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (25% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- The Simple Art of EatingWell