Mussels with Thai Seasonings
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
Thai curry pastes are a busy cook’s best friend—they provide loads of flavor in a single ingredient. Here the spicy green version is used to flavor steamed mussels. Serve over rice noodles.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce or 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil and/or cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, about 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice, curry paste, brown sugar and fish sauce (or salt); bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat (discard any unopened mussels). Stir in basil (and/or cilantro), if using. Serve with the sauce from the pan.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: When shopping for mussels, look for ones that are closed—or those open only a fraction of an inch. When you get them home, store them in a large bowl with a few damp paper towels on top for up to 1 day. To clean them, discard mussels with broken shells or whose shell remains open after you tap it. Hold mussels under running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles; pull off any black fibrous “beards”. (Some mussels may not have a beard.) Mussels should be “debearded” no more than 30 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 238 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 0 g fiber; 601 mg sodium; 187 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (24% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Simple Art of EatingWell