Mussels with Thai Seasonings
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
Thai curry pastes are a busy cook’s best friend—they provide loads of flavor in a single ingredient. Here the spicy green version is used to flavor steamed mussels. Serve over rice noodles.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce or 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil and/or cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, about 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice, curry paste, brown sugar and fish sauce (or salt); bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat (discard any unopened mussels). Stir in basil (and/or cilantro), if using. Serve with the sauce from the pan.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: When shopping for mussels, look for ones that are closed—or those open only a fraction of an inch. When you get them home, store them in a large bowl with a few damp paper towels on top for up to 1 day. To clean them, discard mussels with broken shells or whose shell remains open after you tap it. Hold mussels under running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles; pull off any black fibrous “beards”. (Some mussels may not have a beard.) Mussels should be “debearded” no more than 30 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 238 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 0 g fiber; 601 mg sodium; 187 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (24% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Simple Art of EatingWell