Mussels with Thai Seasonings
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
Thai curry pastes are a busy cook’s best friend—they provide loads of flavor in a single ingredient. Here the spicy green version is used to flavor steamed mussels. Serve over rice noodles.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce or 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil and/or cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, about 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice, curry paste, brown sugar and fish sauce (or salt); bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat (discard any unopened mussels). Stir in basil (and/or cilantro), if using. Serve with the sauce from the pan.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: When shopping for mussels, look for ones that are closed—or those open only a fraction of an inch. When you get them home, store them in a large bowl with a few damp paper towels on top for up to 1 day. To clean them, discard mussels with broken shells or whose shell remains open after you tap it. Hold mussels under running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles; pull off any black fibrous “beards”. (Some mussels may not have a beard.) Mussels should be “debearded” no more than 30 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 238 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 0 g fiber; 601 mg sodium; 187 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (24% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Simple Art of EatingWell