Mussels with Thai Seasonings
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
Thai curry pastes are a busy cook’s best friend—they provide loads of flavor in a single ingredient. Here the spicy green version is used to flavor steamed mussels. Serve over rice noodles.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce or 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil and/or cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, about 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice, curry paste, brown sugar and fish sauce (or salt); bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat (discard any unopened mussels). Stir in basil (and/or cilantro), if using. Serve with the sauce from the pan.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: When shopping for mussels, look for ones that are closed—or those open only a fraction of an inch. When you get them home, store them in a large bowl with a few damp paper towels on top for up to 1 day. To clean them, discard mussels with broken shells or whose shell remains open after you tap it. Hold mussels under running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles; pull off any black fibrous “beards”. (Some mussels may not have a beard.) Mussels should be “debearded” no more than 30 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 238 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 0 g fiber; 601 mg sodium; 187 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (24% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Simple Art of EatingWell