From EatingWell: March/April 1991
Mussels and saffron star in this creamy risotto. Make it a meal: Serve with Sliced Tomato Salad and whole-grain baguette.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cups arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring water and wine to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add mussels and steam until the shells open, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and reserve the broth. (Discard any mussels that have not opened.) Shell the mussels, set aside and keep warm. Strain the broth through a cheesecloth or filter-lined sieve into a small saucepan. Add 1 cup water, salt, saffron and keep at a simmer.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and stir well to coat with oil. Add the hot cooking liquid to the rice, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing the liquid to be absorbed between each addition, stirring constantly to prevent sticking. After about 20 minutes, the rice should be tender but still creamy. Carefully stir in the shelled mussels and parsley and season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To clean & debeard mussels: Use a stiff brush to scrub mussels under running water. Discard any with broken shells or any whose shells remain open after you tap them lightly. Scrape off any barnacles; pull off the black fibrous “beard”.
Per serving: 209 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 264 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (36% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1991