Sautéed Mushrooms with Caramelized Shallots
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
This recipe for sautéed mushrooms with caramelized shallots is one of those dishes that will haunt you. You might want to add a splash of excellent vinegar or some freshly grated lemon zest, but neither is necessary. Though a side of mushrooms may not be traditional, you’ll be amazed at how well they go with everything on the Thanksgiving menu.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 1 cup cubed (1/4-inch) thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 8 cups trimmed and halved mixed mushrooms, such as chanterelle, oyster, black trumpet and/or cremini (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon and shallots to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Remove about half the fat from the pan. Return the pan to medium heat, add mushrooms, cover and cook, stirring once, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add water and scrape up any browned bits.
- Return the bacon and shallots to the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in sage, butter, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Clean, trim and halve the mushrooms and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 91 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 466 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011