Sautéed Mushrooms with Caramelized Shallots
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
This recipe for sautéed mushrooms with caramelized shallots is one of those dishes that will haunt you. You might want to add a splash of excellent vinegar or some freshly grated lemon zest, but neither is necessary. Though a side of mushrooms may not be traditional, you’ll be amazed at how well they go with everything on the Thanksgiving menu.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 1 cup cubed (1/4-inch) thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 8 cups trimmed and halved mixed mushrooms, such as chanterelle, oyster, black trumpet and/or cremini (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon and shallots to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Remove about half the fat from the pan. Return the pan to medium heat, add mushrooms, cover and cook, stirring once, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add water and scrape up any browned bits.
- Return the bacon and shallots to the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in sage, butter, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Clean, trim and halve the mushrooms and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 91 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 466 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011