Sautéed Mushrooms with Caramelized Shallots
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
This recipe for sautéed mushrooms with caramelized shallots is one of those dishes that will haunt you. You might want to add a splash of excellent vinegar or some freshly grated lemon zest, but neither is necessary. Though a side of mushrooms may not be traditional, you’ll be amazed at how well they go with everything on the Thanksgiving menu.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 1 cup cubed (1/4-inch) thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 8 cups trimmed and halved mixed mushrooms, such as chanterelle, oyster, black trumpet and/or cremini (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon and shallots to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Remove about half the fat from the pan. Return the pan to medium heat, add mushrooms, cover and cook, stirring once, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add water and scrape up any browned bits.
- Return the bacon and shallots to the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in sage, butter, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Clean, trim and halve the mushrooms and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 91 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 466 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011