Sautéed Mushrooms with Caramelized Shallots
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
This recipe for sautéed mushrooms with caramelized shallots is one of those dishes that will haunt you. You might want to add a splash of excellent vinegar or some freshly grated lemon zest, but neither is necessary. Though a side of mushrooms may not be traditional, you’ll be amazed at how well they go with everything on the Thanksgiving menu.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 1 cup cubed (1/4-inch) thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 8 cups trimmed and halved mixed mushrooms, such as chanterelle, oyster, black trumpet and/or cremini (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon and shallots to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Remove about half the fat from the pan. Return the pan to medium heat, add mushrooms, cover and cook, stirring once, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add water and scrape up any browned bits.
- Return the bacon and shallots to the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in sage, butter, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Clean, trim and halve the mushrooms and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 91 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 466 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- November/December 2011