Sautéed Mushrooms with Caramelized Shallots
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
This recipe for sautéed mushrooms with caramelized shallots is one of those dishes that will haunt you. You might want to add a splash of excellent vinegar or some freshly grated lemon zest, but neither is necessary. Though a side of mushrooms may not be traditional, you’ll be amazed at how well they go with everything on the Thanksgiving menu.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 1 cup cubed (1/4-inch) thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 8 cups trimmed and halved mixed mushrooms, such as chanterelle, oyster, black trumpet and/or cremini (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon and shallots to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Remove about half the fat from the pan. Return the pan to medium heat, add mushrooms, cover and cook, stirring once, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add water and scrape up any browned bits.
- Return the bacon and shallots to the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in sage, butter, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Clean, trim and halve the mushrooms and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 91 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 466 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011