Mushroom, Squash & Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy main-course chicken salad recipe, dandelion greens and curly chicory pair marvelously with a wildly flavorful mushroom-sesame dressing, roasted chicken thighs and succulent roasted squash. Toss the salad with the dressing just before serving so the greens don’t get too wilted.
- 1 delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 teaspoons canola oil plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 10 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 cups chopped curly endive, frisée or chicory
- 3 1/2 cups chopped dandelion greens, any tough stems removed
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 400°F.
- Toss squash, 2 teaspoons canola oil, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Spread the squash out on a large baking sheet. Toss mushrooms in the bowl with 2 teaspoons canola oil, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Spread the mushrooms out on another large baking sheet. Combine 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Nestle the chicken among the mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms and chicken on the lower oven rack and the squash on the upper rack. Roast, stirring (or turning) once halfway through, until the mushrooms are browned and the chicken is cooked through, 14 to 16 minutes, and the squash is tender, 18 to 24 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 table spoon canola oil, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard with vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup (or agave) and pepper in a blender; puree until smooth.
- When the vegetables are done, transfer half the mushrooms and any juice from the roasted chicken to the blender. Add water and puree until almost smooth.
- Place greens in a clean large bowl. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, chop or shred into bite-size pieces. Add the chicken to the bowl along with the squash, the remaining roasted mushrooms and the dressing; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 391 calories; 24 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 965 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (251% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (38% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Iron (23% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- January/February 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)