Mushroom, Squash & Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy main-course chicken salad recipe, dandelion greens and curly chicory pair marvelously with a wildly flavorful mushroom-sesame dressing, roasted chicken thighs and succulent roasted squash. Toss the salad with the dressing just before serving so the greens don’t get too wilted.
- 1 delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 teaspoons canola oil plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 10 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 cups chopped curly endive, frisée or chicory
- 3 1/2 cups chopped dandelion greens, any tough stems removed
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 400°F.
- Toss squash, 2 teaspoons canola oil, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Spread the squash out on a large baking sheet. Toss mushrooms in the bowl with 2 teaspoons canola oil, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Spread the mushrooms out on another large baking sheet. Combine 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Nestle the chicken among the mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms and chicken on the lower oven rack and the squash on the upper rack. Roast, stirring (or turning) once halfway through, until the mushrooms are browned and the chicken is cooked through, 14 to 16 minutes, and the squash is tender, 18 to 24 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 table spoon canola oil, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard with vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup (or agave) and pepper in a blender; puree until smooth.
- When the vegetables are done, transfer half the mushrooms and any juice from the roasted chicken to the blender. Add water and puree until almost smooth.
- Place greens in a clean large bowl. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, chop or shred into bite-size pieces. Add the chicken to the bowl along with the squash, the remaining roasted mushrooms and the dressing; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 391 calories; 24 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 965 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (251% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (38% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Iron (23% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014