Mushroom, Squash & Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy main-course chicken salad recipe, dandelion greens and curly chicory pair marvelously with a wildly flavorful mushroom-sesame dressing, roasted chicken thighs and succulent roasted squash. Toss the salad with the dressing just before serving so the greens don’t get too wilted.
- 1 delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 teaspoons canola oil plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 10 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 cups chopped curly endive, frisée or chicory
- 3 1/2 cups chopped dandelion greens, any tough stems removed
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 400°F.
- Toss squash, 2 teaspoons canola oil, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Spread the squash out on a large baking sheet. Toss mushrooms in the bowl with 2 teaspoons canola oil, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Spread the mushrooms out on another large baking sheet. Combine 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Nestle the chicken among the mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms and chicken on the lower oven rack and the squash on the upper rack. Roast, stirring (or turning) once halfway through, until the mushrooms are browned and the chicken is cooked through, 14 to 16 minutes, and the squash is tender, 18 to 24 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 table spoon canola oil, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard with vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup (or agave) and pepper in a blender; puree until smooth.
- When the vegetables are done, transfer half the mushrooms and any juice from the roasted chicken to the blender. Add water and puree until almost smooth.
- Place greens in a clean large bowl. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, chop or shred into bite-size pieces. Add the chicken to the bowl along with the squash, the remaining roasted mushrooms and the dressing; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 391 calories; 24 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 965 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (251% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (38% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Iron (23% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014