Although traditional risottos use refined arborio rice and require constant stirring, you can achieve excellent results with this oven-baked version using short-grain brown rice, taking advantage of its whole-grain benefits.
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, washed (see Tip) and sliced (1 cup)
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice, (see Ingredient notes)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces cremini, or baby bella mushrooms, wiped clean, stemmed and quartered (see Ingredient notes)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine porcini and hot water in a small bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid. Rinse the mushrooms well under cool water; drain and chop finely. Strain the reserved liquid through a coffee filter or paper towel to remove any sand or dirt.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven or large ovenproof high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add leek and the porcini; cook, stirring often, until the leek is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add rice, garlic and thyme; stir to coat well. Add wine and cook until almost all evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Add broth and the reserved porcini liquid. Bring to a boil. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until the rice is just tender but still has a little resistance and a creamy consistency, 40 to 50 minutes. If the risotto seems soupy, place it on the stovetop over medium heat and simmer for a few minutes, stirring, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- While the risotto is baking, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cremini and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- When the risotto is ready, stir in the cremini, Parmesan, 2 tablespoons parsley, vinegar, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the remaining parsley on top and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To clean leeks: Trim and discard coarse green tops. Split leeks lengthwise with a sharp knife, beginning about 1 inch from the root end and cutting toward the green end. Leave root end attached. Swish leeks repeatedly in a basin of cold water to remove grit. Alternatively, trim roots and ragged tops. Slice leeks and place in plenty of water, then drain. Repeat a few times. The slices do not absorb water or lose flavor and the process is faster.
- Ingredient notes: Use short-grain brown rice, available in natural-foods stores and large supermarkets, to achieve the characteristic creamy risotto texture.
- Cremini mushrooms (sometimes called baby bella mushrooms) are a strain of button mushrooms prized for their dark hue, firm texture and rich flavor.
Per serving: 350 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 419 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (20% daily value), Fiber (18% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Entertaining, formal
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour