Although traditional risottos use refined arborio rice and require constant stirring, you can achieve excellent results with this oven-baked version using short-grain brown rice, taking advantage of its whole-grain benefits.
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, washed (see Tip) and sliced (1 cup)
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice, (see Ingredient notes)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces cremini, or baby bella mushrooms, wiped clean, stemmed and quartered (see Ingredient notes)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine porcini and hot water in a small bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid. Rinse the mushrooms well under cool water; drain and chop finely. Strain the reserved liquid through a coffee filter or paper towel to remove any sand or dirt.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven or large ovenproof high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add leek and the porcini; cook, stirring often, until the leek is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add rice, garlic and thyme; stir to coat well. Add wine and cook until almost all evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Add broth and the reserved porcini liquid. Bring to a boil. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until the rice is just tender but still has a little resistance and a creamy consistency, 40 to 50 minutes. If the risotto seems soupy, place it on the stovetop over medium heat and simmer for a few minutes, stirring, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- While the risotto is baking, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cremini and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- When the risotto is ready, stir in the cremini, Parmesan, 2 tablespoons parsley, vinegar, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the remaining parsley on top and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To clean leeks: Trim and discard coarse green tops. Split leeks lengthwise with a sharp knife, beginning about 1 inch from the root end and cutting toward the green end. Leave root end attached. Swish leeks repeatedly in a basin of cold water to remove grit. Alternatively, trim roots and ragged tops. Slice leeks and place in plenty of water, then drain. Repeat a few times. The slices do not absorb water or lose flavor and the process is faster.
- Ingredient notes: Use short-grain brown rice, available in natural-foods stores and large supermarkets, to achieve the characteristic creamy risotto texture.
- Cremini mushrooms (sometimes called baby bella mushrooms) are a strain of button mushrooms prized for their dark hue, firm texture and rich flavor.
Per serving: 350 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 419 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (20% daily value), Fiber (18% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Entertaining, formal
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour