From EatingWell: September/October 2014
Serve this vegetarian pâté recipe as an appetizer with crackers and pickled onions or try it as a sandwich spread. Nutritional yeast, rich in vitamin B12, adds a cheesy flavor without any dairy. Look for the yellow yeast powder or flakes in natural-foods stores.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms (baby bella), coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until starting to lightly brown, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until their liquid is almost evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes. Add sage, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add sherry, scraping up any browned bits, and cook until the liquid evaporates, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, walnuts and nutritional yeast (or Parmesan) and pulse until very finely chopped, about 30 seconds. Serve garnished with sage, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Serve at room temperature.
- For the best flavor, toast nuts before using in a recipe. For chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. For whole nuts: Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 56 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 39 mg sodium; 175 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2014