From EatingWell: September/October 2014
Serve this vegetarian pâté recipe as an appetizer with crackers and pickled onions or try it as a sandwich spread. Nutritional yeast, rich in vitamin B12, adds a cheesy flavor without any dairy. Look for the yellow yeast powder or flakes in natural-foods stores.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms (baby bella), coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until starting to lightly brown, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until their liquid is almost evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes. Add sage, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add sherry, scraping up any browned bits, and cook until the liquid evaporates, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, walnuts and nutritional yeast (or Parmesan) and pulse until very finely chopped, about 30 seconds. Serve garnished with sage, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Serve at room temperature.
- For the best flavor, toast nuts before using in a recipe. For chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. For whole nuts: Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 56 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 39 mg sodium; 175 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014