Mushroom & Leek Galette
From EatingWell: Fall 2004
Tote this savory tart to potlucks and holiday gatherings. It makes perfect party food because it is easy to eat while you are balancing a glass and grazing at a buffet. Serve as an appetizer or as a vegetarian main dish.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for glaze
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced leeks, (about 2 large) (see Tip)
- 12 ounces cremini, or baby bella mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced (6 cups)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- To prepare crust: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add oil, milk and sugar; process until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and pulse 4 to 5 times, just until the dough clumps together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times, but do not overwork. Press the dough into a disk, dust with flour and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling: Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. (Add water, if necessary, to prevent scorching.) Add mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk egg, sour cream, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add scallions, parsley and the mushroom mixture; toss to coat.
- To assemble and bake galette: Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a rough 15-inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. Roll it back over the rolling pin and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Spread the filling over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border all around. Fold the border up and over the filling to form a rim, pleating as necessary. Brush egg glaze over the rim.
- Bake the galette until the crust is golden, 25 to 35 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Slide onto a serving platter and serve hot or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on a baking sheet at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Tip: To clean leeks: Trim off fuzzy root and dark green stems. With a sharp knife, cut several incisions in the leek's stem end to open it up like a fan. Soak in water for several minutes, then swish to dislodge dirt. Repeat until no grit remains.
Per serving: 221 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 372 mg sodium; 297 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Fall 2004
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)