Mushroom & String Bean Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
This green bean salad recipe is a versatile warm-weather side dish that is great made a few hours ahead. Serve it room temperature or cold.
- 1 pound green and/or yellow wax beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound mushrooms, such as baby bella or button, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add beans and cook, uncovered, just until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Rinse under cold water; drain and pat dry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms soften and start to release their liquid, 4 to 5 minutes. Add wine and vinegar; bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid is reduced slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the beans, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and dill. Refrigerate until cooled, stirring once or twice, about 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 103 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 103 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2012