Mushroom & String Bean Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
This green bean salad recipe is a versatile warm-weather side dish that is great made a few hours ahead. Serve it room temperature or cold.
- 1 pound green and/or yellow wax beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound mushrooms, such as baby bella or button, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add beans and cook, uncovered, just until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Rinse under cold water; drain and pat dry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms soften and start to release their liquid, 4 to 5 minutes. Add wine and vinegar; bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid is reduced slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the beans, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and dill. Refrigerate until cooled, stirring once or twice, about 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 103 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 103 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2012