Mushroom Barley Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Float some homemade croutons on top of this soup for extra flavor and body. Serve with an amber beer and a salad of mixed greens with Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Marsala, or cream sherry (see Note)
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, carrot, celery, onion, mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables release some of their juices, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Add Marsala (or sherry) and cook, stirring, until reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth, water and barley; bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables and barley are tender, about 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Marsala and cream sherry, fortified wines, are flavorful and economical additions to many sauces. Store opened bottles in a cool, dry place for months.
Per serving: 208 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 579 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two