Mushroom Barley Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Float some homemade croutons on top of this soup for extra flavor and body. Serve with an amber beer and a salad of mixed greens with Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Marsala, or cream sherry (see Note)
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, carrot, celery, onion, mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables release some of their juices, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Add Marsala (or sherry) and cook, stirring, until reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth, water and barley; bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables and barley are tender, about 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Marsala and cream sherry, fortified wines, are flavorful and economical additions to many sauces. Store opened bottles in a cool, dry place for months.
Per serving: 208 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 579 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two