Mushroom Barley Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Float some homemade croutons on top of this soup for extra flavor and body. Serve with an amber beer and a salad of mixed greens with Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Marsala, or cream sherry (see Note)
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, carrot, celery, onion, mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables release some of their juices, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Add Marsala (or sherry) and cook, stirring, until reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth, water and barley; bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables and barley are tender, about 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Marsala and cream sherry, fortified wines, are flavorful and economical additions to many sauces. Store opened bottles in a cool, dry place for months.
Per serving: 208 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 579 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)